Saturday, February 20, 2010

Book Seven "Dead Until Dark" by Charlaine Harris


I decided the best way for me to do some quick catch up reading would be to indulge in some reading for pure entertainment. One of my clients had recommended anything from Charlaine Harris(the author of True Blood), stating that they are quick, fun reads that one could finish of in the course of a weekend. I also decided a book like this would be a nice break from the depressing book streak I have been in.

I needed a book that would take me away from the real world, and this book did just that. Dawn Until Dark is told in the word of Sookie Stackhouse, a waitress in Bon Temps, Louisiana. Cursed with the power of telepathy, Sookie has lived in a solitary world of working and living with her Grandmother. She was looking for trouble when Bill walked into her bar.

The book is based on a society were vampires not only exist, but have rights just like any other human. Bill happens to be the first vampire to come to Bon Temps. He was originally from the area before he became a member of the undead right after the Civil War.

Sookie and Bill begin a new, and of course, complicated romance. It is even further complicated by a streak of female murder victims in the small town. As more women end up dead, the more the locals begin to point there fingers at the vampire.

If you are looking for a book with substance, then you might want to steer clear of this one. But it is quirky and it does have a suspenseful plot, so it does keep your attention. I enjoyed it, as I usually enjoy occasionally reading a book that I learn absolutely nothing from. There are seven books in this series written by Charlene Harris. I think I will save them for the weeks that I am feeling burnt out on this challange.

No comments:

Post a Comment